40 Malay Proverbs / Page 2
21. Milk belongs to the cow, but the bull cow gets the publicity.
22. No matter how high the squirrel jumps, it will eventually fall onto the ground.
23. On which soil we stand on, that is where we carry the weight of the sky.
24. One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind.
25. Prepare the umbrella before it rains.
26. Smack a tray of water and you get to wash your face.
27. The earth compared to the sky.
28. The existence of the sea means the existence of pirates.
29. The more shoots, the more leaves.
30. The more sorrow one encounters, the more joy one can contain.
31. The Potato grows in silence, The iron corrodes in silence.
32. The turtle lays thousands of eggs without anyone knowing, but when the hen lays an egg, the whole country is informed.
33. Think before you leap.
34. Though a tree grow ever so high, the falling leaves return to the ground.
35. Though a tree grows so high, the falling leaves return to the root.
36. Tigers die and leave their stripes, but humans die leaving their names.
37. To bend a bamboo, start when it is a shoot.
38. United we stand, divided we fall.
39. Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants.
40. You can't get at the precious sago without first breaking the bark.