551 Yiddish Proverbs / Page 2
21. A fool will jump into the bath and forget to wash his face.
22. A friend you get for nothing; an enemy must be bought.
23. A golden key will open every lock.
24. A good cry lightens the heart.
25. A good friend is often better than a brother.
26. A good friend you get for nothing, an enemy you have to buy.
27. A good man, but his mad dog won't let you speak to him.
28. A good name is better than a precious stone.
29. A guest for a day is welcome the whole year.
30. A guest is like rain: when he lingers on, he becomes a nuisance.
31. A guest is like rain: when he lingers on, he becomes a nuisance.
32. A guest is like rain: when he lingers on, he becomes a nuisance.
33. A half truth is a whole lie.
34. A half-truth is a whole lie.
35. A heavy purse makes a light heart.
36. A hero is someone who can keep his mouth shut when he's right.
37. A jest is half a truth.
38. A joke driven too far brings home hate.
39. A lazy messenger is not short of excuses.
40. A lie can take you far away -- but with no hope of return.