24 Togolese Proverbs
1. A woman's tongue is sharp enough to pierce the toughest flesh.
2. Absence polishes passion, presence reinforces it.
3. Better the child weeps than your wife.
4. Breed up a serpent and he will strike when you are in deep slumber.
5. Don't butter the skillet before catching the fish.
6. Every rhinoceros is proud of its horn.
7. Good stew is best to be made in an old pot.
8. He bawls like a calf because he is as weak as a kitten.
9. If there is no traitor in your house, the witches will never be able to get at you.
10. If you hurt the reputation of another, you damage your own.
11. In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength.
12. In the world there is more madness than sanity.
13. It is impossible to go and look into the stomach of another.
14. Not all those who are old are wise.
15. So not roast all your corn in the winter.
16. The devil sups with the tax collector.
17. The fish, seeing the water has dried up, struggles mightily in the mud.
18. The heart rules without rules.
19. The man who has never experienced evil does not know the worth of what is good.
20. The tears running down your face do not blind you.