62 South African Proverbs / Page 2
21. No hill without gravestones, no valley without shadows.
22. No man can perfectly empty a pot with a ladle.
23. No one drinks medicine on behalf of a sick person.
24. No stake ever grew old with the bark on.
25. Old age does not announce itself.
26. Once you have found your first diamond, you will never give up looking.
27. One who enters a hut does not smell the termites roasting in the boiler.
28. people are people through other people.
29. Plenty sits still, hunger is a wanderer.
30. Roasted locusts eaten at night bring dangerous dreams.
31. The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago; the next best time is now.
32. The drums of war are the drums of hunger.
33. The dupe who takes possession of a lame ox is seldom recognized as a fool.
34. The fool who owns an ox is seldom recognized as a fool.
35. The foot pains in sympathy with the toe.
36. The girl with stars in her eyes will shine like the moonlight.
37. The greatest death is laughter.
38. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the nation and its destiny.
39. The heart is like a goat that has to be tied up.
40. The impatient person eats goat; the one who hesitates eats beef.