1234 Sicilian Proverbs / Page 2
21. A good kid goat comes from a young goat and a good lamb from a strong sheep.
22. A good old man is better than a bad young man.
23. A good rooster crows everywhere.
24. A good vineyard provides bread, wine, and firewood.
25. A granita doesn't cost much; still it's just water, wine is better.
26. A high price moderates desire.
27. A hitch makes a calf, a sty makes a pig, the open field makes lamb, the hay barn makes a kid goat.
28. A horse without spurs is like a ship without a rudder.
29. A hot sun with a lot of wind, I go home and I am happy.
30. A house that is not seen by the sun, is visited often by the doctor.
31. A house without a woman impoverishes.
32. A jealous man is born cuckolded.
33. A lady has to be of the right cut and the right measure to make a pretty figure.
34. A lazy woman is never virtuous.
35. A long dress makes a lady.
36. A low fog leaves good weather.
37. A man could die just cultivating fava beans and the kitchen garden.
38. A man is a man to the extent that he sticks by his word.
39. A man is never so ridiculous by those qualities that are his own as by those he affects to have.
40. A man without luck always goes on foot.