63 Malawian Proverbs / Page 2
21. Every man is a prince in his own bed.
22. Fear to let fall a drop, will always make you spill a lot.
23. Fish don't get caught in deep water.
24. Go away and the conversation changes.
25. Gold is a debt we can repay, but kindness not till our dying day.
26. He can see a louse as far away as China but is not aware of an elephant on his nose.
27. However big the whale may be, the tiny harpoon can rob him of life.
28. If you are going to bathe, get thoroughly wet.
29. If you dip your arm into the picklepot let it be up to the elbow.
30. If you have, give; if you need, seek.
31. It is the fate of the coconut husk to float, for the stone to sink.
32. Just as a bamboo cane forms a round jet of water, so taking counsel together makes men of one mind.
33. Kick away the ladder and your feet are left dangling.
34. Leave her now and then if you would really love your wife.
35. Low is the mountain, high the expectations.
36. One day of rain far surpasses a whole year of drought.
37. One little arrow does not kill a serpent.
38. One muddy buffalo makes the whole herd dirty.
39. Rocks need no protection from the rain.
40. The betrothed of good is evil; the betrothed of life is death; the betrothed of love is divorce.