18 Latvian Proverbs.
1. "We have rowed well," said the flea as the fishing boat arrives at its mooring.
2. A good backside will easily find a bench to sit on.
3. A smiling face is half the meal.
4. A strange glass is emptied in one draught; your own glass not even in ten.
5. As long as you live, you learn.
6. Even the devil himself does not know where women sharpen their knives.
7. Every man forges his own destiny.
8. If you can't use your eyes, follow your nose.
9. In dense woods the trees grow straight.
10. Let the devil into church and he will climb into the pulpit.
11. Never wrestle with a strong man nor bring a rich man to court.
12. No matter how much you eat, save some seeds for sowing.
13. On the hook of truth only small carp will bite; in the net of falsehood the big salmon are caught.
14. Once you've cut the bread, you cannot put it together again.
15. Promised berries will not fill the basket.
16. Sleep is the poor man's treasure.
17. The ready back gets all the loads.
18. Your belly is not a book.
18 Latvian Proverbs