40 Croatian Proverbs
1. A good friend is worth more than a bad brother.
2. A good horse has many faults; a bad one has hardly any.
3. A guest will not know what fasting means.
4. An empty barrel sings in the wind.
5. As soon as he set her down she said that she was tired.
6. Better a bad harvest than a bad neighbor.
7. Better be in debt than in shame.
8. Check before you bite if it is bread or a stone.
9. Don't measure a wolf's tail until he is dead.
10. Even a dog will not eat a leg without flesh.
11. Every bird has a hawk above it.
12. Feed your horse as a friend, mount him as an enemy.
13. God does not love those who have not suffered.
14. His whole life he carried his wife on his back.
15. If sorrow would not talk it would die.
16. If you ask for too much at once, you will come home with an empty bag.
17. If you deliberate for too long, you will end up with leftovers.
18. If you take too long to choose, you will end up with the leftovers.
19. It is better to be a bull for a year than a cow for a hundred years.
20. It is better to work in your own land than to count your money abroad.