51 Creole Proverbs
1. A beautiful funeral does not necessarily lead to paradise.
2. A fisherman never says his fish stink.
3. Bathe other people's children but don't wash behind their ears.
4. Be sure that the candle is lit before you throw away the match.
5. Better your own cod than another's duck.
6. Cowardly men, healthy bones.
7. Cutting off a mule's ears doesn't make it a horse.
8. Don't call the alligator "big-mouth" till you have crossed the river.
9. Don't hang all your clothes on one hook.
10. Ears have no covers.
11. Eat with your mouth, pay with your back.
12. Firm breasts don't last long.
13. Good looking and good luck don't always walk the same road.
14. If there were no sighing in the world, the world would stifle.
15. If you dig a pit for me, you dig one for yourself.
16. If you don't lift the skirt of a bride you don't know what she wears under it.
17. If you make yourself into a doormat, people will wipe their feet on you.
18. If you see what the ducks eat then you eat no more duck.
19. It's by following his friends that a crab lost its hiding place.
20. Laugh at the rice and you will weep for the lentil.