1852 Chinese Proverbs
1. "I heard" is good; "I saw" is better.
2. A bad man talks about what he has eaten and drunk -- a good man about what he has seen and heard.
3. A bad word whispered will echo a hundred miles.
4. A bad worker quarrels with his tools.
5. A bad workman blames his tools.
6. A bar of iron continually ground becomes a needle.
7. A base person often thinks of a man of honor as mean as himself.
8. A beautiful bird is the only kind we cage.
9. A beautiful flower is incomplete without its leaves.
10. A big tree attracts the gale.
11. A big tree attracts the wind.
12. A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.
13. A bird cannot roost but on one branch. a mouse can drink no more than its fill from a river.
14. A bird does not sing because he has the answer to something, he sings because he has a song.
15. A bird in your hand is worth more than 100 in the forest.
16. A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses.
17. A bit of fragrance always sticks to the hand that gives you roses.
18. A bit of fragrance clings to the hand that gives flowers.
19. A blind cat catches only a dead rat.
20. A book holds a house of gold.