22 Bambara Proverbs
1. A long beard and a rosary will not make you a priest.
2. A pregnant woman is not afraid if you threaten her with what you made her pregnant with.
3. Beware of the goat that is in the lion's lair.
4. Do not walk in God's ways on someone else's behalf.
5. Even in the freshest of milk, you will still find hairs.
6. God gives nothing to those who keep their arms crossed.
7. God provides for the blind vulture.
8. He who has a boss is not the master of his burden.
9. He who longs too much for a child will marry a pregnant woman.
10. I have to learn how to walk on three legs says the hyena for when I am old.
11. If the hare is your enemy, admit that he can run fast.
12. No matter how long a log floats on the river, it will never be a crocodile.
13. No matter how many chores you finish in your house, there is always yet more to be done.
14. No matter how much the world changes, cats will never lay eggs.
15. The child who loves freedom is the first victim of it.
16. The hare and the elephant don't travel well together.
17. The kitchen is older than the mosque.
18. The motherless child will suckle the grandmother.
19. The word of a powerful man is the truth.
20. There is no mother like your own mother.