472 Arab Proverbs
1. A book is a garden carried in the pocket.
2. A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.
3. A book that remains shut, is but a block.
4. A borrowed cloak does not keep one warm.
5. A chameleon does not leave one tree until he is sure of another.
6. A change is as good as a rest.
7. A fable is a bridge that leads to truth.
8. A fable is a bridge which leads to truth.
9. A fat woman is a blanket for the winter.
10. A foolish man may be known by six things: Anger without cause, speech without profit, change without progress, inquiry without object, putting trust in a stranger, and mistaking foes for friends.
11. A friend advises in his interest, not yours.
12. A friend is known when needed.
13. A good deed dies when it is spoken about.
14. A good man is one who rejoices in the well-being of others.
15. A good orator makes us see with our ears.
16. A grateful dog has more worth than an ungrateful man.
17. A hand that has been chopped off cannot steal any more.
18. A heart free from care is better than a full purse.
19. A horse of good breed is not dishonored by his saddle.
20. A horse that will not carry a saddle must have no oats.