1614 American Proverbs / Page 2.
21. A crooked cornstalk can have a straight ear.
22. A dead enemy is as good as a cold friend.
23. A dead man feels no cold.
24. A deaf husband and a blind wife are always a happy couple.
25. A diamond daughter turns to glass as a wife.
26. A diamond on a dunghill is a precious diamond still.
27. A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never her age.
28. A dirty fire never made a clean weld.
29. A dirty floor means a busy stove.
30. A disease known is half cured.
31. A divided man makes an unhappy spirit.
32. A dog is a man's best friend.
33. A dog returns to where he has been fed.
34. A dog that will bring a bone will take one away.
35. A donkey is but a donkey though laden with gold.
36. A dose of adversity is often as needful as a dose of medicine.
37. A drowning man grabs at a straw.
38. A drunk man will sober up, but a damn fool never.
39. A duck won't bite you.
40. A fair face may hide a foul heart.